Last Friday, however, I popped off to see Catpain* America 2 which I really enjoyed (I loved the central idea – so thrilling!) and as I needed to find something in which to drown my own private sorrows, and having heard that Agents of SHIELD improved in later episodes, I decided to try it again, not least because I really, really wanted to see what they were going to do in the light of Catpain** America 2’s events. I ended up watching episodes 10-15, then backtracking a bit, then watching ep 16 this week (OMG).
You know what? I really enjoyed it. I mean, first I was just enjoying it, then I started getting a bit invested (FITZSIMMONS), and then I was on tenterhooks, and now I can’t wait for next week’s episode! So much fun! So, yeah, for anyone who was similarly disappointed at the start of the season (and I know quite a few people were), it’s definitely worth giving a second chance.
SOME THOUGHTS (1):
Having seen Catpain*** America 2, in which we come to learn the SKULLDUGGERY and WRONGNESS of Sitwell, who has always been pretty positively portrayed in canon but also in fanon (that word always looks ridic, but whatevs), makes watching Agents of SHIELD in retrospect a bit weird because he just looks really squirrelly all the time, and is he supposed to look that way or am I just projecting? Who knows!
SOME THOUGHTS (2):
1. They have either stopped making really self-conscious references to stuff or I’ve stopped noticing. The first couple of episodes felt very heavy-handed in this respect.
2. I just love FITZSIMMONS. That is all. And Fitz’s burning desire for a monkey. And Simmons being rubbish, the actual worst, at lying and then shooting Sitwell. <3
3. I hope Melinda May is not the bad kind of SHIELD. I’m pretty sure she’s not; she’s too awesome for that.
4. Right. So. The Clairvoyant. Riddle me this, people. Given (a) how sceptical pretty much all the characters have been about the Clairvoyant being an actual clairvoyant or having telepathic skills generally and (b) that notwithstanding that, the Clairvoyant has evidently had a lot of personal information on them all, surely the obvious question way back when was, if the Clairvoyant isn’t psychic, then where is the information coming from? At which point, surely, um, SHIELD is kind of the obvious answer. Coulson coming up with this in the climax of episode 16 was a bit of a well, duh moment.
SOME THOUGHTS (3):
What is going to happen next?! Are we going to have some kind of secret Fury-sanctioned underground SHIELD now that the SHIELD/Hydra hybrid has been uncovered? Is Coulson going to take the team off-book (LOL lingo). Given that the organisation to which they have all dedicated themselves, and in the cause of which they have done some objectively bad things (when viewed without the context of their justification; justification which there is now cause to consider suspect), is there going to be some angsty soul-searching? What are the implications of GH352? What is this nonsense Iain De Caestecker’s been saying about FitzSimmons being like brother and sister because that is clearly UNTRUE.
* Hilarious Blackadder joke that brings me much joy.
** STILL FUNNY.
*** I LAUGH EVERY TIME